Old July 2nd 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

Default IFR logging question - is this legal?

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:33:09 +0100, Peter wrote:

Jose wrote

This doesn't contradict me. Note the difference between BEING and
LOGGING PIC.

I didn't wish to go into whether they can *both* log.

The situation here is this:

I am instrument rated. A friend is not, but is legal to fly the plane
in VFR.

He sits in LH seat, is renting the plane, and understandably wants to
end up with a nice 10-hour (it's two long flights) logbook entry, in
return for his money. (I am not sure whether Americans are as dead
keen as Europeans to log everything they pay for )

We will do a long flight, under IFR. Clearly my presence is required
because he doesn't have an IR. Does it mean that I must be PIC on that
flight (because I am the only one with an IR).

The obvious practical reality is that he can do all the flying.

*What* can he log this time as?

If he is the sole manipulator of the controls, he may, under US rules, log
all of the flying time as PIC.

Can he log instrument time, or (if under the hood) simulated
instrument time)? What if the whole flight is VMC on top (most
likely).

If he requires use of the instruments in order to fly the a/c, whether in
actual or simulated, he may log actual instrument time, or simulated
instrument time, as the case may be.

I would be suprised if he could log it as instrument instruction,
because I am not an instructor.

He could NOT log it as dual, as you are not an instructor.

Your name, as safety pilot (for that part of the flight requiring a safety
pilot) must be recorded in his log book.

In the US regs, there is this strange dichotomy between logging PIC, and
acting as PIC. It is possible to act as PIC, but not be able to log it;
and also possible to log PIC, without being authorized to act as PIC.

You could log PIC for that portion of the flight when a safety pilot is
required under 91.109 (i.e. simulated instrument flight). But you would be
the acting PIC for the entire flight if under IFR.