Old March 2nd 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Wow

"Blueskies" wrote in
et:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in :

We had a couple of very windy days over here in Europe.
Look at a crosswind landing of an A320 at HAM, a near crash:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185

Nice pic:

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882887

&filename=phpOltUW
B.jpg

Next time someone tries to tell you that airliners just "kick it
straight" when they land, like this guy did, show em this... Bertie

I just sent this out this afternoon to our human factors people as an
example of how deeply a pilot has to fly into a problem before
realizing it isn't going to solve using existing control authority.
Absolutely amazing! This guy is on the way to a memo from the Chief
Pilot's office fairly soon I would imagine. Glad they made it out of
there.

--
Dudley Henriques

In the still shot, I am amazed at the lack of control deflection.
Looks like just a little right aileron and apparently no rudder. I
wonder, due to the gusting conditions, if the FBW in the 320 is
damping the pilot inputs?

Well, up high it would be, but (and I don't fly a FBW Bus) the controls
go to "direct law" by degrees when it gets close to the ground and it
begins to fly just like an airplane. I know a couple of A 320 dirvers
and will ask -em when I see -em, but i think he was just trying to
handle the crosswind the way he always did, by plunking it down at
kicking t straight. THis time the conditions didn't let him away with
it.

Bertie