Old February 27th 04, 10:33 PM
Frijoles

Your question was (quote) "Can anyone conjure a F-35B Marine job that could
not be none by the navy?" The question was answered with specific
operational capabilities (exercised in combat operations) that the Navy does
not possess. You are obviously ignorant of the process by which
"requirements" are generated and validated. You are obviously ignorant of
how procurement #s are generated. You are ignorant of the numbers of
aircraft resident in the USMC TACAIR inventory, and you are ignorant of how
they are employed -- to wit, " I cannot get a good picture of a mission
where the marines would need 400+ of them with all the support for them but
still not have a decent runway!"

Come back with some intelligent questions after you've done some research.

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
yes, please do, but not with politispeak generalities. Instead, give
me the best one practical example of the ideal mission as the perfect
reason why the Marines would need to order 400+ F-35B's.

"Frijoles" wrote in message

hlink.net...
No need to conjure. Try expeditionary air operations (FW and RW)

ashore, as
demonstrated in DS, OEF and OIF. TACAIR operations from amphibious
shipping. How about assault support from amphibious shipping or from
expeditionary locations ashore?

Should I go on?

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
Chad Irby wrote in message

. com...
In article ,
(puttster) wrote:

Then let me ask why the Marines need the V/Stol capability. I

cannot
get a good picture of a mission where the marines would need 400+

of
them with all the support for them but still not have a decent

runway!

Why are you limiting the situation to needing 400+ at once?

The situation is more like "we need a dozen for this small brushfire

war
in a place where there are no good airstrips," or we need to put a

small
landing force in at this area, and the bad guys have a few planes,

so we
need a little fighter cover from the LHDs."

If there are no good airstrips how would the marines get their gas,
bombs, food, and all the other support?

How (why?) were their Harriers used in Iraq?

To support Marine actions on the ground, without having to go

through
the other services as much. They've been flying off of the USS

Bonhomme
Richard.

Overall, Iraq hasn't been a good test of what we'd need the Harrier

for.