Old October 13th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default GPS vs ADF

On 10/13/06 01:58, Thomas Borchert wrote:
RN,

. I'm comfortable enough setting up a Garmin 430 to
navigate to another airport but that's about the limits of what I can do with
one. Don't have a clue about GPS approaches....

Well, you need one to substitute the ADF ;-)

Mainly, read the 430 manual part about loading and acitivating approaches. What
you would do is to activate the NDB approach to the airport in question. After
that, the 430 will guide you through the approach since the approach is in its
database. The CDI slaved to the GPS will give the indications as if there was a
VOR in place of the NDB - in principle (there are some differences in the
details). This together with the moving map (and the track indication) makes it
vastly easier to fly an NDB approach that way than with an ADF.

This all pertains to an IFR certified installation.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it sounds like you're talking about
using the GNS 430 in GPS mode to fly the NDB approach, which is not allowed.

You can use the GPS as a substitute for the NDB, but not when the NDB is
the primary navigational station for the approach.

Now, if the airport has a GPS overlay associated with the NDB approach, you
can fly that using the GPS (in GPS mode).

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA