Old April 23rd 04, 07:26 AM
Jim Weir

Sacramento to Reno via I-80 across Truckee and then through the Verdi Gap. Reno
to Lovelock and then Battle Mountain direct if you've got the altitude, and the
airways dogleg if you don't. Battle Mountain to Elko, and then either the
northern route to Ogden via Wells and Lucin or the southern route over Salt Lake
via Wendover.

Gas stop: Morgan County UT (just east of the Joseph Pass through the Wasatch).
Wonderful little airport, lots of soaring going on and MOGAS. Hint...check when
the Mormon holiday (Founder's Day? Pioneer Day???) around that time of year is
so you don't get snookered at the airport waiting to retrieve somebody from the
next town over to pump gas for you.

Thence IFF (I Follow Freeways) climbing out of Morgan County to Eavenston, Ft.
Bridger, Rock Springs, Rawlins, Medicine Bow, and into Alliance for MOGAS.
Great little town, they have an old clunker courtesy car, but they DO have a
courtesy car. Check out autohenge (stonehenge built with wrecked autos) just
west of town. I sort of figure if I can get to Alliance the first day, I've
done my job.

Thence one of two paths. The more direct path over northern Nebraska, northern
Iowa, southern Minnesota, and so into Wisconsin. The less direct path if
weather clobbers you into South Dakota or North Dakota, central Minnesota, and
into Oshkosh by the northern door.

Either one has some really great things to see...

Southern Route: Emmetsburg IA has mogas and some really nice people. You can
drop a little further south and visit Jay and Mary's hotel in Iowa City where
Jay HIS-SELF will take you down to the local mogas emporium for a good load of
that motion lotion. Then on the next morning to Portage WI where they also have
mogas PLUS free steamed brats from 8 in the morning on all day..

Northern Route: Not much to recommend it, but Crystal (Minneapolis) USED to
have mogas. Albert Lea has mogas. Pipestone has mogas and some really neat
Native American museums.

Airnav.com, of course, can give you all your options, but this ng can probably
tell you what stops are good and what stops to avoid.

Right now, I only have two "avoids". Gordon (northern Nebraska) has mogas but
is a royal pain in the labonza. Avoid. Philip SD *used* to be an absolutely
wonderful stop, but the city fathers fired the airport person because they
thought they could make more money running it themselves. They screwed it up
royally. Avoid.

Jim

-
-Can we talk about routings from Central California to OSH? My Skylane
-can drink mogas, 80/87 and 100LL, in that order of preference.
-
-What is (are) your favorite route(s)?
-
--jav