Old February 19th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

Default RV6A down in Seattle area

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:30:12 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:

First I have to ask why you put this in a thread about the Wright Flyer?
But I've fixed that.

You do realize that the RV6 is a kit built aircraft? And it is not that
heavy at 1600 lbs MGW. And while 49-55mph isn't the lowest stall speed
out there it is in no way excessive.

BRS does make a chute capable of the weight of the RV6 but I don't think
I've ever seen on installed. To install one you have to give something
up and that something is the ability to carry weight be it fuel, baggage
or people. Also in this case I'm not sure the aircraft would have had
enough altitude to deploy it.

As for airbags and other crash worthiness features that are in modern
cars. There are some seat belt based airbags on the market now. They
haven't been on the market long enough to show if they are actually
helpful though. And no aircraft will every be as crash worthy as an
automobile. They have to be light as compared to a car. And even the
safest cars aren't designed to have the people in it survive a crash
much faster than the speed equal to that of the stall speed of the
slowest aircraft. At least not with the current technology or at a cost
that would make a C-150 cost several million dollars.

Airbags, BRS chutes, we're going down the wrong path. Those are things
that are needed in a crash. It's better to "fly the plane" to prevent
their needing to be used. An airbag won't help much if you get in a
spin. A lot of times the plane hits in more of a flat attitude and
they wouldn't be of much help. Plus, with the speed of aircraft
accidents, the forces are so high, the benifit is dubious. The BRS
chute would have more success. Someone in an RV-6 or similar,
expericing an engine out, might be so overwhelmed by the whole affair,
they may be better off just pulling the chute handle and forgetting
trying to wrestle it down to the ground. Espeicially if over trees
with no open fields or over mountains. Cars hit everything
horizontally, so the forces are easier to plan for. In a plane, you'd
need airbags all around you. Impossible. You can't apply car thinking
to airplanes. They are too different.