Old September 15th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OUDIE

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:14:16 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
I'll surely offend someone here :-).

There are better solutions out there now.

I used the 302 + WinPilot combo in 2008. It worked fine. I gave up on WP when it became clear that Jerry wasn't going to fix some issues that were truly vexing and wouldn't answer email from a paying subscriber. I did miss the thermal optimizer... I never really bonded with the 302 vario by itself.

If you are allergic to anything that smacks of commercial content, go ahead and turn the page now please...

ClearNav CNv's response is such that you probably don't need a centering tool at all. It's nearly "seat of the pants" fast, but doesn't get jittery like many electronic varios do when set to small time constants. You really have to see this in action to appreciate how good it is. If you do want/like a thermal centering device, there's one built into CNvXC that works very well indeed. WP was in my opinion "the centering tool that actually worked"... and CNvXC is better still. As with WP, there are audio cues for centering.

Ask anyone that owns one (best with most recent updates).

Evan Ludeman @ CNi

Evan, I actually agree with my many friends and ClearNav afficionados (BB is one of them) that you have an excellent product. I sometimes get beaten by them flying the dreaded Area Task which ClearNav seems to handle beautifully, WinPilot not so much. Maybe in my next glider - but my wife thinks I'm doing just fine in the one I fly, have to land out more!
Herb