Old September 16th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default OUDIE

I just updated my 29 panel this spring from an SN10/Ilec vario linked to an Oudie to a new panel with a CN2 with the CN NAV vario (square with red buttons) and a LXNav S10 (new all in one, Nav, Task, Flarm, AHRS, IGC Oogger, etc) as a "backup." Backup is a silly description as the S10 is extremely capable as well in a 57mm package.

I have experience with the butterfly vario, V7, 302, XCSoar, of course the SN10 and several others not worth mentioning.

The CN "Nav" Vario (again, the square one with red buttons) is absolutely incredible. Simple to use, extremely accurate and seems very stable in bubbly, gusty, difficult thermals. I seem to be climbing better and more importantly, running much better. To me this means more accurate netto and speed to fly. It's the best vario I have ever used. I can't say exactly why I believe this, but I believe it. The S10 Vario is also very good, but I favor the cn vario as it integrates well with the CN2 and is very intuitive. I also had a small technical problem with the S10 (one of the very first delivered) that caused me to disregard it and favor the CN vario (which was flawless). So I don't have the same confidence in the LXNav S10 yet other than to say it is really cool and does anything and everything I could ever need. The thermal centering tool is incredible on the CN Vario (and the S10).

The Oudie is OK at best. It MUST be tied into a pressure sensor to be worth anything at all. I was sceptacle of these "full" soaring computers such as the LX9000 and CN2 before switching. But it has been an eye opener for me. Sure there was learning curve. In my case the CN2 is very easy to learn (unlike the LX9000...just ask anyone who uses one, they'll tell you). But once you do master these instrument/flight computers you will have a much more relaxed flight with quicker access to better information.

The SN10 is probably still the best overall simple navigation instrument for the money (I have one for sale, ;-)) although it also can be a challenge to learn and master. But it's ILEC vario (ILEC) leaves something to be desired in comparison to the CN Vario (or the LX).

Hopefully this has some value for someone out there.

Sean