Old March 8th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Looking for an affordable 4-passenger aircraft

Take a look at the Cessna 340 and the Cessna 400 series, particular
the 414 and 421. These will be above your $200K range, but are
fast, pressurized twins. Also, understand the wing spar AD on the 400
series Cessnas before buying one.

If you eliminate the pressurization requirement, look at the Cessna 310,
Beech Barons (55 and 58 models) and the Piper Aztec. Of the bunch, the
Aztec is the slowest, but also the cheapest to buy. You can find a really
nice Aztec for well under $200K.

Moving a bit more into the rarer category, the Twin Aerocommander and
Piper Aerostar are possibilities.

I'd also reccommend either getting a copy of the Aviation Consumer's
Used Aircraft Buyer's Guide, or subscribing to the montly Aviation
Consumer publication which includes access to their web site. Then you
can access the used aircraft articles online.

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/

Another good publication to get a subscription to is Trade-A-Plane, the
bible for the GA aircraft market. Again, subscribing to the print copy
gets you online access to their database which is a good place to shop
and get a feel for the market.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/index.shtml

Good luck.

Ronnie

"Tailhook" wrote in message

I'm an retired Navy pilot with lots of time (6000)--but nothing in the
past 15 years--but my children are now moving all over the country and
I'd like to get back into the air to visit them. I know little about
the general aviation market or products but I'm partial to twin engines
if only because they gives you an option when the weather deteriorates
and so does one engine. I'm looking for the following:

reliable and affordable--under $200K
4-passenger capability (real passengers--none of my kids are under 6')
twin preferred--or logic why a single engine is not really an
emergency
range: 1000 NM
speed: 160 KIAS +
pressurized cabin (a preference but not a requirement)
reasonable IFR package--but state of the art not needed
Some idea of annual maintenance costs I need to be planning on

What aircraft would you recommend I be looking into?

Thanks from general aviation rookie with less than 50 hours of Cesnna
150 time from the 1960s.

--
Tailhook