Old January 23rd 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 1/23/2020 5:58 AM:
I fly an ASH-26E, and I would prefer a system that can work off just pitot and static, avoiding the vertical fin mounted TE probe (which gets hammered during engine runs). This is because thermalling during powered climb can be important to me when flying out of high density altitude airports. But if using the TE probe gets me significantly better airmass awareness in cruise, I would take that.

I am attracted to the FLARM voice warnings that the S8/S10 units give, but I would do without this in order to get the best airmass awareness.

My OpenVario gives me a thermalling assist graphic which seems to work great, but if the new system offers improvement here I would like that also.

Please offer you experiences and knowledge here. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jim J6

Butterfly from Air-Avionics. There are a few dealers with units in stock.

What Jonathan doesn't quite mention is Air Avionics is no longer selling the
Butterfly (aka as "Display S" or "Air Glide S"), which is manufactured for them by
Triadis. According to Air Avionics, their support for the vario will continue, and
possibly Triadis will decide to continue manufacturing and selling the vario and
other Air Glide products.

I have a Butterfly vario in my ASH 26 E (using static/pitot), and love it. It's
the best vario I've used, and it's AHRS (attitude indicator) and basic final glide
navigation are important features for me.

The speed of it's wind measurement is what sets it apart. A recent discussion on
the LXNAV Soaring Equipment User Discussion Group showed this, as pilots with or
interested in the LX 90xx glide computers wanted to know how well the LX vario
handled wind. The consensus was the Butterfly was the best.