Old November 8th 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Advice for new CFIGs

I am associated with three clubs in the Pacific Northwest. (I’ve towed at all three and flown gliders at all three) Two of them do training one is cross country only. Of the two that do training one has free instruction the other has the students pay the instructors $40 per hour. (I think the students can double up for ground) Both clubs are located next to a large metro area.

The club that has free instruction is barely able to have one instructor available for their two L-23’s and one 103. Occasionally they have two instructors. Frequently they have none. They have two tow planes but only use one 95% of the time.

The club that has the students pay the instructors usually has 3-4 instructors going every weekend. They’re easily able to keep their two 2-33’s, three L-23’s, Grob 103 and two tow planes very busy.

Neither club has much problem with available wing runners and mandatory Field Managers.

So you tell me which club is offering better service to their members especially students? There’s that old saying, “You get what you pay for.”