Old September 20th 03, 06:27 AM
Gary Ittner

Mark Navarre wrote:

Then the poll question needs to be rewritten with clarity and completeness in
mind.

Here again is the complete text of question 16 from the poll:

16. “Start Anywhere” Cylinder

Present rules for start cylinders measure start time from your exit
point, but measure distance from the point on the cylinder’s perimeter
closest to your first turnpoint.

16.1 Would you prefer that both start time and distance be measured from
your cylinder exit point?

___ Yes ___ No

Mark, it is unclear to me exactly what you find unclear about the above
question.

I spoke with P7 during region 12 and was left with the understanding that the
rule would allow scoring from the most favorable start point, just as the most
favorable turn points in the turn cylinders are scored.

I can't imagine what I might have said to leave you with that
understanding (are you sure you weren't talking to someone else?) It is
true that the Rules Committee has considered an "area start" proposal in
the past, but rejected it for several reasons, as you can see in item 33
of the 2001 Rules Committee Meeting Minutes:

33 Area start
"Sounds simple but has several potential problems. Needs more thought.
There would be a tendency to start at the back of the cylinder and fly
through the pre-start gaggles on course. This could present a safety
problem. Disadvantage in pilot not knowing when they started. Likely
requires graphical display to not be disadvantaged. With multipoint
start option, prestart congestion will be reduced. Resolution: No action
at this time - table for future consideration."

BTW, past Rules Committee minutes are archived at:
http://www.serve.com/BSA/sra.htm

The poll question does
not provide enough info about the proposed new rule for one to give an educated
answer.

Is it the purpose of an opinion poll to educate everyone thoroughly on
every aspect of a rules issue, so they can form an opinion? Or is the
purpose to allow people to provide input on those rules issues about
which they have an opinion?

It is true that I included more "pro & con" in last year's poll, but
that also generated some criticism. You can't please everyone, I guess.
Some people thought it was just ducky that I listed arguments supporting
their viewpoint on an issue, but were livid that I also listed arguments
supporting the opposing viewpoint.

I do believe that it is important to keep a poll as brief as possible,
if you want people to wade through it. Last week I received a "Client
Satisfaction Survey" from my long-time stockbroker. It was 8 pages long.
I didn't want to spend the time, so I chucked it in the trash.

Gary Ittner P7
SSA Contest Rules Committee