Old January 22nd 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default ditching airbus flt 1549

..
..

It has been nearly fifty years since I went to Boeing school, so please
forgive the misrememberances. As I recall, once the engines spool up and
take the load, the APU is shut down and once the aircraft has departed, the
squat switches have to be enabled to restart the APU. It cannot be started
airborne.

At least that is my memory. The reason I say that is that I was trying to
do some autopilot work for which I needed electrics and hydraulics and with
the airplane on jacks, I couldn't get the APU to fire up. Perhaps one of
the sparkies pulled a breaker somewhere so that I couldn't accidentally
activate the gear via the APU/electrics/hydraulics, but I also remember
something in school about it.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

With the APU running they had
nearly everything available to them Full electrics, except for maybe th
egallys, and almost all hydraulics, if a bit slow. Flight controls would
have been fine though.

Bertie