Old June 25th 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default How does one land upside down following a PT3?

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:04:59 PM UTC+12, BobW wrote:
I don't, but when I began flying from a site (Boulder, CO) well-known for
'dynamic pattern conditions' I began worrying about this sort of thing,
myself. My concern was uncommanded rolling motion on short final sufficient to
cause a wingtip to hit/drag-on the ground. (I figured the inverted bit would
then take care of itself!) My experience at the time was that even on the
worst sort of thrashy days, as I neared the ground, the thrashiness tended to
diminish, though never as early/high above the ground as my brain desired..

We get some pretty nasty thrash at times at most sites in New Zealand. When using rotor to try to climb into the wave it's a constant tradeoff between flying slowing to not get banged around too much, and flying fast to not get stalled by tail gusts or rolled despite full opposite aileron.

I tend to go for somewhat slow. 60 or 65 knots, say.

For approaches in those conditions I try to get into the downwind much higher than normal -- 1500 or 2000 ft AGL, say (which is often out of the worst of the thrash here) and then use something near the top of the white (80 or 90 knots) and maximum airbrake (and flap if available) to descend steeply and continuously until it's time to start the roundout. You spend minimum time in the worst of it, have maximum resistance against unwanted rolls, maximum resistance against windshear, and since you've probably got 30 knots on the nose the ground speed is the same as a calm day approach and it's no problem to slow down (low enough that falling won't hurt) and get stopped.

If you can handle an "airbrakes stuck open" exercise on a calm day then this is easy to do. I've never even had a hint of overshooting, and you've got massive margin to do something about any developing undershoot.