Old October 28th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default Airliner crew flies 150 miles past airport

Mike Ash wrote:

It's the accent upon the 100+ miles that gets me.
In a car world 100+ miles -is- a long way.
In an airliner at 400 knots that's 15 minutes.

News companies are more interested in getting a story than actually
informing people. "150 miles" sounds scarier and gets more eyeballs than
"15 minutes", so that's what they print. It's sad, but I don't know how
to fix it.

Would you prefer the "out of contact with Air Traffic for One hour" slant?

Brian W