Old December 4th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk[_1_]

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

Sorry to rain on your parade, but...
That looks like a good way to turn on the "chip detector." :-(

It is really trivial for cars, which almost never run more than about 30%
of
maximum power for extended periods. It is troublesome in trucks, and
leads
to shorter engine life--but the only casualty is the owner's checkbook.
However in an airplane, I would take the manufacturer's power rating for
truck use, reduce it by another 10%, and then consider maximum cruising
power to be about 60 to 65% of that result.

I know that a lot of conversion advocates regard that as heresy, but I am
much more concerned that even I may still be too optomistic!

Peter

Good advice, Peter. Finally someone with a SMART answer ;-)

Rob