Old December 6th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
PH-CAQ

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill
don't consider chiptuning the smart engine. It was not designed for it
and no body has any experience with it. Beside that the engine is not
available in the US. Look at http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm
The VW diesel is an interesting one. Some club members are working on a
conversion, but keep in mind, the engine is heavy
I use a BMW R1100 rs on a Pelican. A well designed PSRU comming from
germany (http://www.takeoff-ul.de/) gives me 95 kts and 3,5 gallon
fuel/hour

Ton (the Netherlands)