Old December 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

"bbutlergps" wrote in message
ps.com...

Morgans wrote:
"bbutlergps" wrote

The Mercedes-Benz A Class 1.7 from Thielert Centurion even being light
alloy weighs in at just under 300 lbs. Too much for the 701. Being that
the smaller mercedes 3 cylinder diesel has been put in some planes
including the 701, 601 FK-9 as well as ultra lights but I feel that
they lack the HP needed.

Keep in mind that the diesel engines in airplanes tend to give the same
performance as a gas engine of up to 25% more HP. Would that make a

difference
in the HP figures, in your case?
--
Jim in NC

Still haven't gotten any information on the Smart Mercedes 3 cyl. 95 hp
diesel found in the Smart ForFour of the Mitisibishi Colt such as
weight. I did however come across VW Lupo engine. This 1.2 engine is
found in Audi A2 and VW Lupo. It is all aluminum.
Diesel engines

Three cylinder

3L 1.2 TDI

This inline three cylinder is notorious for being the powerplant of the
Lupo 3L and A2 3L, both VAG cars with a low consumption of only three
liters per hundred kilometers (94 mpg/78 US mpg). It is based on the
1.4 TDI version but the block is made of aluminium and the elements are
lighter.

Configuration
Diesel 1191 cc inline three cylinder
Block
bore × stroke 76.5 × 86.4 mm, aluminum
Head
aluminum, 2 valves, overhead camshaft, 19.5 compression ratio
Aspiration
turbocharger
Fuel
Pump direct injection (PD Pump injector, Pumpe-Düse)
Dimensions
100 kg
Output
45 kW (61 hp) @ 4000 rpm, 140 N·m between 1800 and 2400 rpm, 80%