Old December 23rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

wrote:
I would be interestedin a diesel in the 200hp range. Is anyone out
there converting any 200hp doesel automotive engines?

You would have to have a pretty good sized aircraft to carry that
weight.
Mercedes engines have been putting into aircraft such as the 172 or
larger single engine aircraft. More information could be found at:
http://www.thielert.com/
This engine here is an Isuzu smaller but interesting
http://membres.lycos.fr/dieselis/
This is a newsletter
http://dieselair.com/

Still looking for that diesel power plant for LSA that affordable,
lightweight, has the hp and torque and turns the engine at normal
operating speed.
Right now I am looking at the VW Lupo / Audi A2 1.2 all aluminum 60 hp
3 cylinder turbo diesel.
Still wondering about the Smart Mercedes 95 hp 3 cylinder turbo diesel
found in the Smart ForFour and Mitubishi Colt. That engine has more
than enought HP that I am looking for but scared of the total wieght?
I still have a couple of other automotive diesel to look at including
the Toyota and Dihotsu (sp).
EcoFly has a very nice slick set up using the Smart ForTwo gas and
diesel engine in the FK-9. These engines at least the diesel I feel
lack the hp. Thats why I am wanting the ForFour 95 hp engine to come in
not weighing too much. I really like EcoFly PSRU, espically the clutch
that engages at a certain RPM. This really cuts down on vibration at
start up, idle and shut down. More information on EcoFly can be found
at:
http://www.ecofly.de/
Hope this helps and I hope that somebody helps me, how about you guys
in Europe =:-].
Thanks,
Bill