Old April 30th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

On 2009-04-14, Dallas wrote:
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam etc..

It can be whatever you and the instructor want to make of it.

If I have to do a BFR (I did one in March) if possible I want to do
something new, and things I've not done in a while. For example, in my
last one, I did it in a rather nice late model A36 Bonanza with a flight
director and a rather good autopilot, complete with things like altitude
preselect (about the only thing it seemed to lack was autothrottle!) My
own aircraft is an ancient VFR day only type, so I have little
opportunity to learn about this stuff for real. Also, the Bonanza is
just a touch faster than what I usually fly, so I could use the BFR to
see if I could still think at "170 knots" rather than the 90 knots I was
more used to.

Aside from finding out how the flight director works in the real world,
we also did some typical airwork type exercises.

What was the cost of the A36 if I may ask and what did you usually fly
at 90kts?

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP