Old March 24th 17, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

We don't need cheaper gliders until we can fix the declining membership issue.
In my club there are plenty of 35:1 to 40:1 gliders which have been up for sale for between $6000 and $16000 and they're not selling even after being advertised for two or three years. Single Astirs, ASW-15, etc.
I picked up a old 47:1 glider with trailer (Nimbus 2), refurbished it, installed some modern instrumentation and added a Mountain High O2 system for a total cost of under $20,000. Why would I want to purchase a more expensive, newer glider with less equipment and performance?
Even decent condition ASW 20's can be had for around the $25000 mark.

Where I live there are simply not enough students completing their training so the second hand market is abundant especially with the older members heading West one-by-one. A cheap, new glider is not going to fix that problem..