Old December 9th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Fuses in general

On Dec 9, 12:11*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Finally, as to using one fuse total or using one fuse per
device...this is a question in which you will get equal proponents on
each side. *I prefer one fuse directly at the battery. *I run two
batteries.

I don't there is a choice to either fuse at the battery or to fuse at
the instruments. There must be a fuse at, or in, each battery or you
risk an in flight fire. The battery fuse (or circuit breaker) should
be large enough to support all equipment but no larger than required
to do that.

The advantage of also having separate fuses for each item, or groups,
of avionics is that a short at the panel or an internal avionics
short, will only blow the local fuse and leave other equipment still
working. This of course requires all fuses to be properly rated.

I've never blown a fuse in flight in nearly 30 years of flying
gliders, but I have blown fuses when working on the glider on the
ground. For that reason I chose not to give up any panel space for
fuses. They are all behind the panel and can be reached by raising
one side of the canopy (ASW 28).

Andy