Old September 19th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Giltner[_1_]

Default SRA Poll

At 23:14 18 September 2008, BB wrote:

What about embedding the "club class" within our larger sports

class?
Use the IGC racing rules so we are preparing for international
contests, but run two scores in parallel. =A0Only count the club class
results towards US team standing. =A0That way, if you want to race,
bring anything you can get your hands on. =A0But if you are serious
about the club class, get a club class ship and race it.

Kirk
66

That's what we have now. Only gliders on the US team list -- roughly
coincident with the IGC list -- count for US team selection, and the
tasking guidelines focus on club gliders. The "club class" issue is
whether we create a new class where non-qualifying gliders can't even
participate. (We don't use IGC rules in any US class, for lots of
good reasons -- read the IGC rules and it will be clear.)

John Cochrane

BB I think you are missing the point. Under the current rules a Club Class
glider pilot, whether he wants to make the team or not, is competing
against new state of the art gliders.
Many of the people that I have talked with are not interested in the team
they just want to compete but don't feel they have a chance of winning
against gliders that are way better.
These are the pilots who own a Club Class glider and never fly a contest.
If soaring is to survive in this country we have to tap into the pilots
who have a glider and want to compete but never do because they don't
feel their glider can match up against 27s and the like.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard pilots say. "I am not going
to the contest because I know that I can't compete with KS in his Duo. You
and I know that KS could win in any ship he chooses but many pilots feel
that the playing field would be a bit more level if we all flew gliders
with similar performance.
In the last 3 years I have competed in both regional and national contest
in a D2 and an LS1-F. I have concluded that there is no way you can task
both of these gliders the same and be fair, even with the handicap. No
way, no how. This is not a speculative statement. I have devoted 3 years
to this research. Now imagine flying a 27 or a Duo against the Club Class
glider!
As to the tasking guidelines being "focused" on the Club Class glider.
Not so. In Perry SC several years ago I flew a 3:45 TAT in the sports
class regionals. I guess we were "out of focus" that day.
Why not have a Club Class within the Sports Class for the first year.
Separate class but run along with the sports class. Seperate scoring for
the Club Class glider. Separate winner, etc. You can even have the same
tasking. If it looks promising we can then be completely independent of
the Sports Class or not. Something to think about. Thanks, 5 Ugly