Old March 18th 04, 11:05 PM
Rich S.

"Leon McAtee" wrote in message
m...

Other than weight - IS - there a reason not to use 1026 DOM? This
assumes of course that the design is based on the slightly lesser
strength and/or has adequate design margins to begins with.

I'll never forget the time I machined a new axle stub for a friend's boat
trailer. I bought a blank from the trailer parts company that was made from,
"1020 *Plow* steel". We installed it, lowered the jack and the axle
proceeded to slowly bend under the weight of the boat until the tire hit the
fender.

I bought a chunk of normalized 4130 and turned a new axle stub. He used it
for five years and never had a problem.

'Course this would never happen with that 1000 series steel from XYZ
company.

Rich "Mebbe you could save a buck on the leather jacket and silk scarf" S.