Old June 19th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Canopy open incident.

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:12:22 PM UTC-6, ProfChrisReed wrote:
Bill, I took the view that 200 ft of height was insufficient to learn how to land the glider safely if I couldn't use the airbrakes. I had plenty of practice landing ahead from simulated (and a few real) failures, but none doing so whilst holding the canopy closed and possibly unable to use the airbrakes. Allowing the canopy to swing open so I could use the airbrakes would risk full detachment and tailplane damage. And I'd need to let go of the canopy to pull the release.

All this is in the first two seconds or so after rotation, and a few seconds later the land ahead option is no longer available. So I decided that I needed height to sort out these issues, rather than trusting to luck if I released.

"Release if you have a problem and can land ahead" is a useful mantra, but the operative word is "if". I wasn't sure enough, and neither was the original poster.

I would have been sure if I had practised landing with a partially opened canopy, but bizarrely that's not on the training syllabus. Now, of course, I know how to do it.

It's normal for a pilot to try to hold on to an open canopy but DON'T DO IT! If a canopy has slammed open without departing the aircraft, it probably isn't going to - and it's probably beyond saving. If the canopy is really going to depart, you couldn't hold on to it with one hand at aero tow speed anyway. Leave the damned thing alone, it's not worth risking your life to save it. Release and "fly the glider" to a safe landing on the remaining runway if you have room.

An open and/or broken canopy fully meets the criteria for a "disabled aircraft". Don't fly a disabled aircraft if you don't have to.

You are absolutely right aborted takeoffs should be in the training syllabus. It's a perfect scenario to practice with Condor. Then when you have it down pat with the simulator, try it for real with an instructor.

If you think a mere canopy opening is a rush, consider this. We've recently had several incidents of tow pilots aborting a takeoff and coming to a quick stop on the runway with a glider on tow 200 feet behind. It happened to me. I was just able to tuck the Twin Lark's wing under the Pawnee's wing as I flew by. The tow pilot had no explanation for his actions.

For the tuggee's - if you have to abort a takeoff, continue at speed to the end of the runway to give the glider room to touchdown and stop behind you.. If you can't, depart the runway to the left.

A final story. I watched a Schweizer-trained pilot make a first flight in a Libelle. At 2000' AGL, as trained, the pilot pulled the red knob - but instead of the expected release, the canopy departed. It didn't hit the tail. It was just scratched when it hit the sagebrush. The pilot landed safely.