Old March 21st 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:15:26 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 10:22:48 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
While I usually don't disagree with you, if you READ what Tango8 posted, he is saying the same thing as you.
"Lithium in the name does make it the same", as I read it.

Your thoughts?!

Yes, I am going from early (late '70's NiCads to more modern LiFe or LiOn/LiPo) rechargeables including LA of various flavors.

I have a bunch of cash tied up in chargers for various battery chemistries, mostly in RC use, but also for my main income.

Hey, hey find an issue with my read of Tango8's post, I am willing to learn, but I believe you read it wrong.

I don't believe it is dangerous to refer to Lithium Ion batteries as Lithium Ion batteries. But in T8s post he said it was, and further said '"LiIon" vs "LiPo" vs "LFP"' which implies that Lithium Ion batteries are a type of Lithium Ion batteries. The semantics matter. Had he quoted my post in context (the complete sentence was "If it has lithium in it, it is a Lithium Ion battery, but beyond that there are big differences in chemistry and mechanical construction.") perhaps he would have not thought what I said dangerous. You cannot charge a LiIon battery differently than an LFP, because an LFP IS a LiIon battery. LiIon includes all the different chemistries but the members of that group differ in their associated charge requirements.

It is much better to use language precisely when the result of a misunderstanding can be an explosion and fire. If you specify an LFP charger you should get want you want. If you specify a LiIon charger you have no idea what you are going to get.

Jon, you're clearly unfamiliar with the terminology as it is used out in the real world. There are many (millions) multi-mode chargers out there that use the terms as I have used them, "LiIon, LiPo, LFP". Semantics matter? Sure. Safety based on correctly matching charging cycles to chemistry matters more.

Here's a link to the instructions for a commercial charger that illustrates what I am talking about. They use the terms LiIo, and LiFe instead of LiIon and LFP.

http://www.ircha.org/sites/default/f...ntam%20BC6.pdf