Old December 17th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default trailer sway mitigation TSM

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 2:01:56 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Boise Pilot wrote on 12/17/2019 10:19 AM:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 10:15:29 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 8:06:29 AM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:43:23 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Good shocks seemed to have the biggest effect in my experience.

I have used three different model year Jeep Grand Cherokees as tow cars for
over 35 years. Nelson Funston (JN) is a tire and trailer expert with big heavy
trailers. With my first Jeep, told me to do three things in following order:
-Move some weight forward,-stiffer sidewall trailer tires at max pressure,
-vehicle tires at max pressure. Ancillary advice, maintain Jeep shocks... We
have some interstate speeds of 80 mph in Idaho. No sway!! All my Jeeps were
the 8cyl model so heavier than the old 4cyl and most currently available 6cly
on the road. Also all had 4 wheel drive and the off road accessory that has
different suspension and road clearance. Boise Pilot

Look out when moving trailer weight forward... Never exceed the maximum
tongue weight! Jim

Also tighten up the hitch in the receiver with one of these: they take out
the slop that can add to sway, and quiet down the rig

I found once I stopped towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee I had no more sway
problems.

Anyone that wants to hear more from Nelson Funston can download his OSTIV paper on
trailer stability he

http://journals.sfu.ca/ts/index.php/...wnload/779/737

Anybody convert that model to a nice Excel spreadsheet?