Old January 31st 20, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer tow advice

I have a 2017 Ford Escape SE. Mine has all wheel drive, and the 2.0 turbo Ecoboost 4 cylinder 245 hp engine.

I typically tow about 1750 pounds, an SZD 55-1 in an Avionic trailer. I have never towed a two place ship. I have towed to Nephi, Ephrate, Airsailing, Truckee, Williams, and Midlothian.

My tow speed has been as high as 98 mph, and I have been known to pass logging trucks on twisting two lane roads climbing up the Cascades. I have yet to climb a hill that I could not maintain or exceed the posted speed limit.. That is with the trailer, all my glider stuff, camping equipment and one occupant in the vehicle.

The only down side is that it does not have a full size spare.

So yes, I recommend this model of Escape as a tow vehicle.

P9