Old October 30th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders:

Poland is a beautiful country, especially in early September. The purpose of this trip was to meet CEO Jerzy Peszke and tour the GP Gliders facility. The operation recently moved to Korczyna (2.5 miles NW of Krosno). The original airport building was too small for anticipated production.

Jerzy Peszke (Junior) comes from a glider family. Grzegorz Peszke (Dad) is a well-known aircraft designer; “particular” only starts to describe him. Meeting the two bolstered my decision to order the GP Jeta, a 15-meter self-launching electric glider with a powerful motor and ballistic rescue system. Jerzy’s grandfather, also Jerzy, was Tomasz Kawa’s instructor, father Kawa.

Flying a GP 14 Velo, Sabastian Kawa won the 2017 World Gliding Championship, in 13.5 Meter Class. And soon, the newer 15-meter Jeta prototype will be test flown. Per Sabastian's suggestions, the Jeta is undergoing some aerodynamic improvements; he is a GP Gliders Technical Consultant.

On the drive through Poland, we passed Ostrow. This will be the site of the July, 2018 WGC. GP Gliders intends to have the Jeta in that contest. My plan is to attend.

Raul Boerner