Old August 25th 05, 06:32 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article .com,
"skysailor" wrote:

I have approximately 110 hours in sailplanes in the past 2 years and
had no prior experience. I am evaluating used gliders for purchase.The
big kahuna's in the club are pretty adamant about purchasing a first
glider without flaps. My question is: Are flaps that big a problem for
a low time pilot and why??? There many good flapped gliders for sale. I
would like some opinions concerning this.

I don't think flaps are a big deal if you can cope with a manual
transmission car ;-)

Looking back, i started flying my first flapped glider (an original
model Janus) when I had 75 hours total time and was signed off on it 3.5
months later when I had 110 hours -- the club had a ten flights/ten
hours requirement for it due to not only the flaps but also the
sensitive all-flying tailplane and aerotowing on a belly hook (and also
perhaps quite a bit of "the club's shiny new toy" syndrome). So I did
10 flights in it (hmm ... and only 7 hours) in those three months, but
also 11.5 hours in a Club Libelle, 8 hours in a Std Libelle, 7 hours in
a K6 and 3 hours between Blanik and K13.

I think you should do a few flights in a flapped two-seater (such as the
Janus) before flying a flapped single-seater and see how you go.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-