Old September 3rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

Default G430 Display/Numbers or Pictures?

The "Cheating the ILS" thread prompts my curiosity:

I fly with a single G430 and rarely use the map display. Almost
always I am set on the Nav1 "numbers" screen, which tells me pretty
much everything I need to know. I have talked to a number of
commercial pilots with lots of G430 experience, and this seems to be
the consensus.

The tone of the OP on the "Cheating the ILS" seems to be that his use
of this screen is unusual. I use the TRK number on the Nav1 screen
routinely to help on ILS approaches and have never thought anything of
it. I fly my best approaches this way because I do not have to cut &
try to get a heading that holds the needle centered.

So ... Do you normally fly looking at Nav1 or at the map? Cruise?
Approaches? Why? And what is your experience level with the G430?