Old April 11th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Taggart

Default Backup Attitude Gyro

On Apr 10, 10:51*pm, Jerry39
wrote:
What is the most practical backup attitude gyro system that is truly
redundant for general aviation single engine aircraft during IMC
flight?

--
Jerry39

Jerry:

The best that I have found is the Precise Flight stand by vac system:
It works off the Intake manifold.... Make sure ALL of the hoses in
the Gyro system have been replaced..... just have it done so you
know for sure they have been replaced MAKE SURE the A& P is REAL
careful with the hoses and to BLOW THEM OUT with hi pressure air
BEFORE he installs....... them no rubber chips can remain in the
hose(s) or WATCH OUT!

Make sure ALL filters have been replaced. Send out your gyro's for
overhaul the attitude indicator, directional gyro AND the turn and
bank!! The turn and band indicator has a 'dash' pot that has
thick oil in a piston the oil dries up in a few years making the
turn and bank so floppy it can't be used!

I send out my Gyros every two years for overhaul... if you are
flying REAL IFR it's worth it! By the way....please check out my
You Tube Video on the Four course Radio Range it was the back bone
navigation system in the world from 1928 to 1970's just go to you
tube..... in the search bar : Four Course Radio Range it will come
up navigation in the 1940's please give it a look and make a comment
on the You tube comment section

Regards!!!

Watch the time in service on the Vac pump right around 500 hours time
in service WATCH OUT!