Old February 9th 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Attention US Standard Class Pilots

I’m still learning to be a contest pilot, so the proposed use of
handicaps in Standard Class is OK by me. And if pure handicapping
attracts more people to participate in Standard Class, great!

What puzzles me, though, is the use of pure handicapping being
proposed for Standard Class itself, but a fixed 2% distance bonus
being used when a Standard Class ship flies in 15m Class. The LS8,
D2b, and ASW-28 have a 0.915 handicap, while an ASW-27 has a 0.880
handicap and a V2c and a LS10 have a 0.885 handicap. This is a 3% to
3.5% difference, not 2%. And I think that a LS4 and a SZD55 would also
just get 2%, just like the top of the line Standard Class ships do.

Why not use the correct handicap when fielding a mixed FAI class at a
US contest?

-John