Old December 4th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Parachute 20 year limit

HL Falbaum wrote:

Consider this--amortized over 20 years, a new chute is cheap insurance. You
will spend more on repacks if you do it as the law requires. Ask this--if
you have to jump, and your old chute fails, how good will you feel about how
much you saved? If you could get a brand new one right then, would you write
the check on the way down?

Recently, Strong refused to repack my 30 year old Strong parachute
because the *container* was suspect (some sun bleaching on the upper
straps). They suggested I buy a new container, and then they'd be happy
to repack the parachute, because the canopy was in excellent condition.

I suggest a parachute amortized over 30 years is even cheaper insurance,
and you still don't have to write check on the way down.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org