Old December 30th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default First Visit to Minden questions

Hi,

I'm a flat land glider pilot with 70 glider hours of which 35 are in a
standard Cirrus. I'm doing a week trip to Minden this winter as a
familiarization and glider checkout adventure. SoaringNV.

There is almost endless info available on the web, and I'll get help
from an instructor, but here are a few random questions.

Unless there is wave, I'm thinking of just getting high tows maybe 6k
AGL. This will put me near the Pine Nut range, or a little above the
big ridge to the west. If there is no lift I won't be able to wander
much.

1. At this altitude, with flight durations of a half hour, should I be
contacting NorCal? Or is that something that one does when the flight
is higher, longer duration, or closer to Reno?

2. How much wind does it take against these ridges to hold altitude
using ridge lift?

3. Off topic, but I might drive from Minden to visit Williams Soaring
Center. I was raised in Vermont driving to ski areas, but the
Sierra's seem pretty intense. Any recommended route? Any way to
check driving conditions and to know if my rental "economy" car will
suffice?

4. Any other advice welcome.

.... Aaron