Old December 30th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default First Visit to Minden questions

One thing you probably know about, but won't fully appreciate until
you've been there, is the cold. After a climb to 27,000 feet I
couldn't feel my feet. Pretty much the same thing happened after my 3
hour XC flight, although I never went above 15,000 feet. I had on silk
socks, 2 pairs of wool socks, and moon boots made of thick closed cell
foam. Bring lots and lots of warm stuff, but you will definitely be
very cold!

-John

Thanks again. All helpful. I'm in fairly good shape and don't smoke,
but 59 years old living at 800 feet I will probably want O2 in my
hotel room.

It would be great if I luck out and get a wave day, or even enough
ridge lift to stay up long enough to freeze.

I sometimes use those disposable packets that you put in your boots.
They keep some of your toes warm for a while. I also hear that fresh
socks right before you launch helps a lot.

SSA magazine just came out with a great article on wave flying
Minden. Aaron