Old March 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
running with scissors

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...
JL Grasso wrote:

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:40:20 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

So the radio altimeter was accurate ? I think not. And that was known to be one of the weak
spots in the A320's systems at that time IIRC.

I'm guessing that Capt Asseline realised that the radar altimeter was malfunctioning and
reverted to baro readings.

Regds, Graham

You need to know that at 12:45:11, the aircraft was still well off the
airport area by several thousand yards. They were over a hilly,
partially-forested area (Hardt Forest) to the right of the approach end of
runway 02 (which was the actual runway they were supposed to parallel
during the flyover).

Ahh - the problem with the briefing !

You should also know that radar altimeters report the
distance between the transceiver antennas and any objects below.

Yes indeed - I do.

So, if
the topography of the area below varies, or the altitude varies, the
readings change nearly immediately.

Agreed.

So let's check the topography then ? The flight path etc. From my own experience, that general area
is pretty flat but I'm interested in seeing any info.

Changes in the attitude of the
aircraft can sometimes have effects on the readings also.

I can see that too - indeed you could possibly call it a deficiency of rad alts.

This is
something that an experienced Captain would know, and something a
planespotter would not.

Can't resist being Bertei's pal ? If only I had the time to go spot planes ! Last time I had a
look-around I saw some nice kit at Panshanger. I'd rather spend my time 'spotting' attractive women
- and getting to know them actually.

If you would actually read something comprehensive concerning this accident, you could see that
the RadAlt was consistent while over the relatively level terrain of the airfield - just as one
would expect.

Indeed it is.

I also assume that if the radar altimeter was broken, it would have been
deferred MMEL and cited as such in the investigation.

I never asserted it was broken. Simply that the implementation at that time in the A320 had given
rise to concerns about its accuracy.

Actually - you succeeded in diverting my attention from what I consider to be one of the more
intruiging aspects of this crash - notably a suggested compressor stall.

Graham

nope no comressor stall.

according to tarver, airbus's crash at the end of the runway because
its unknown and unmapped.