Old September 26th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On Sep 26, 6:06*pm, wrote:
For me electrical sustainer in a glider is the perfect solution. It links in to the spirit of the sport, beter than a turbine. But the propellor on the nose feels slightly off.... Especially when you consider the bugwipergarages becoming standard on the topsailplanes. We are spending more and more on reducing drag. Then this minor addition feels going against the flow. Why not a small pilon whit this nice foldable propellor you have engineered? Or am I the only one who has this uncomfortable feeling?

Secondly adding 45 kg to the non- lifting parts is a bit of a stretch. I contacted a manufacturer who was very kind to talk more than 30 minutes on the subject. But changing this limit on existing planes seems very far fetched. Any news in this area?

Marco

I also have an issue with modification to the front of the fuselage
where the tow hook is (at least in my glider) and another point is
that this is an important area not to be tempered with in crash
resistant cockpits. I have no problems with the added weight due to my
good eating habits .