Old August 1st 15, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Buoyancy/Shear Ratio

Agree with Evan and Steve above. A lot depends on your course selection as well. Crosswind legs on low B/S ratio day can be brutal. Upwind/downwind usually better. Also depends a lot on pilot thermaling ability. Low B/S days typically require "dynamic" thermalling (push/pull/stomp - whatever it takes to go up).

P3

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 11:50:46 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 10:55:32 AM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
What do you think about the BLIPMAP Buoyancy/Shear Ratio parameter?
Is it accurate that less than 7 makes the day difficult to work?
I have found lately that this seems to be true but my sample size
is small. I am in the northeast US. Location is probably a factor.

The best thermals on any given day have better buoyancy, so better B/S ratio.

Days with a lot of shear put an absolute premium on thermal selection. I'd put the number where things start getting choppy at around 5.

-Evan Ludeman / T8