Old August 25th 11, 07:54 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hudson View Post
Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX
This is very sad to hear. I would be curious as to the ages of the pilots in the junior worlds. Drinking until 4:00 AM on flying days indicates a real lack of discipline at the very least, at the most a budding alcoholic if not one already. Fortunately in my misspent youth, I got very drunk, very sick and very much over alcohol in about a 72 hour period. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

Walt