Old March 18th 05, 03:54 PM
Dude

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Support AOPA, they are our best protection against this. Economically,
I suspect that the tax money raised from our bugsmasher fuel usage
doesn't really cover the cost of service for FSS, VOR maintenance, ATC,
etc etc. But the result of fees will be that fewer people use the
system, which is part of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

The total revenue raised from the fuel tax is about $60 million. I do not
recall if this was for avgas alone or included GA jet fuel use too. The
cost of FSS is about $600 million (there is some dispute about this
figure). This information was in AOPA Pilot in the "Presidents Position"
section within the past year.

Mike
MU-2

Is the "fair share" argument what this is really about? The majors think
they are paying too much because their planes use more fuel?

We have had this discussion before, and I would rather not rehash it. If we
could get a better FAA by raising the fuel tax, I would support it. I just
want to know what the extra will actually get us. Otherwise, I would just
as soon see the whole thing go libertarian. All we in GA really need are the
GPS satellites, and a few gadgets. AMR, United, and the rest can pack up
and go home for all I care.