Old June 29th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What is Purpose of Sports Class Nationals?

Unfortunately, most of us that want to compete have job constraints,
etc. that prevent us from coming. I finally am close to being able to
make a contest per year. Would I go to a sports nationals... no. Too
many that are priviledged to fly a lot and practice a lot show up. I
heard one say that it's another nationals for the big guys. That's
fine, and I don't begrudge them that. I do admire the few that fly the
FAI classes and at least try to leave the crumbs for the neophytes and
wannabes. I would possibly try the nats if I won a regional. That would
blank my vacation for a year, so it's not likely. I do intend to fly
region 10 or region 9 sports next year... big dogs or not...

Jack Womack

Wallace Berry wrote:
In article ,
"Wayne Paul" wrote:

The U.S. has opened this range to include all sailplanes. This tends to
cause contest organizers to declare tasks which are beyond the capabilities
of older gliders.

Haven't seen that problem here in the southeastern U.S. Current world
team member David Stevenson has campaigned his Ka-6 very successfully,
Obviously, he finishes most tasks in good time. Clearly, the
handicapping system has some flaws (what doesn't?) with some gliders
having relatively better handicaps, but that can change.

The winning gliders flown in the club class in Europe are often so
highly tuned or modified that they rival the cost of a much newer ship.

I relish the chance to fly with better pilots in better equipment.
Sometimes I even beat one or two of them. Limiting the U.S. Sports Class
to older ships would just diminish participation.

Oh, one other thing - Frank, tell me again what the heck winglets are
supposed to do for an LS-4 (besides look cool?)