Old October 12th 04, 01:10 AM
aluckyguess

Good for you.
"gatt" wrote in message

When the weather is bad and the examiner gives you the option of delaying
for better weather, don't say "Well, if I can't pass my checkride in IMC
I'm
probably not qualified for the IFR rating."

First attempt at the checkride. Icing forecast at 6,000. Examiner said
"No problem. We probably won't go much above four." The FIRST
instruction I got from Portland Approach was to hold over
Battleground...at
6,000. Lots of flying around in turbulence trying to maintain heading and
altitude, listening to PDX warn people about the weather.

Later, holding in IMC, was told it was 2003Z and to expect my next
clearance
at 2030Z.
Wonderful. So I held in IMC for about 20 minutes while the examiner
tracked
my course on his handheld GPS.

I'm not sure how I passed. He spent the first half hour of the oral
telling
me about how failure works, and not to be embarrassed by it, etc. I'm
not
in fact sure how I made it through the checkride without just saying "This
sucks. I'm going home." I made more mistakes and flew sloppier than any
training flight I've done in the last month. So I had already started
guessing which parts I passed and which I busted, and TWO HOURS after we
landed--he having asked questions like "So, how do YOU think you did?"--he
pulled out a booklet (me: 'here comes the dreaded pink slip'), asked for
my
logbook and then wrote my temporary endorsement. I couldn't believe my
eyes.

Wasn't a gold-medal performance, but he said I stayed cool in the IMC and
that must have been my saving grace. Went home and discovered my wife had
poured a shot of whiskey for me. Mission accomplished!

-gatt
Portland, OR