Old August 21st 03, 01:09 AM
BTIZ

good question.. it states "40hrs flight time as a PILOT", it does not
specify Pilot in Command time (which would mean Solo or after achieving the
power rating). I did a search in the 14CFR Part61 file and they did not
specifically address that issue.

This is a question for the FSDO or local DE for their "legal"
interpretation.

As to the written test requirement. There are specific tests for PP-Glider
and PP-Airplane. I do know that if you have a PP-Airplane rating, you do not
need to retake the PP-Glider test. But if you have a PP-Glider rating, you
do need to take the PP-Airplane written when earning your AIRPLANE
certificate.

I believe (after a remembered conversation with a DE) that a PP-Airplane
written can be used to the glider practical, but will need to be "retaken"
when it comes time for the practical in the airplane.

But why rely on us and lead the poor student astray.. ask your local DE for
his interpretation, or call the local FSDO. They will "brainstorm" and call
you back with an answer they have to stand behind, and so will "fail safe"
to the more stringent requirement.

good luck
BT

"John" wrote in message
om...
My origial question was pertaining to US regs. Sorry I forget the
power of the net. Now for the kicker... Can these minimums apply to
a glider student whose 40+ hours are dual only in a powered aircraft?
That is a 15 year old student who cannot solo a powered airplane but
has many hours logged as dual in a Cessna 140? Also can a private
pilot written test (powered) apply to a glider check ride requirement?

For applicants who have logged at least 40 hours of flight time as a
pilot;
at least 3 hours of flight time in a glider, including;
10 training flights; and,
10 solo flights; and
3 training flights in preparation for the practical test.
Simply put, the applicant must have logged at least 3 hours in

gliders
and made at least 20 flights.