Old June 16th 05, 01:42 AM
Doug Vetter

Peter R. wrote:
snip
After almost one year of flying with it, the only two complaints about
TIS that I have are the relatively limited coverage areas outside of
the northeast coastal megalopolis and the inability to adjust the
volume of the lady's voice that states, "Traffic Unavailable!"
Inevitably this alert always comes on just as I am about to touch down
at my home airport and it still startles me.

Peter,

Can't help you with the coverage issue (complain to the FAA), but the
voice type and volume are, in fact, configurable. This is not an "in
flight" procedure, however -- it's a "set and forget" via the unit's
configuration pages which are accessible via special key combination
during power-up. If you want to occasionally mute the audio, you need
to have your avionics shop route it through a switched input on your
audio panel.

I wrote an article about the GTX330 that you may find helpful. Go to my
site and click through:

Aviation - Articles - Maintenance - Avionics 2004

Scroll down to the bottom and look for the sidebar. It contains a link
to a document that explains how to access the unit's configuration pages.

Please read the disclaimer thoroughly before downloading the file. I'm
not kidding. If you screw the pooch, call your avionics tech. Don't
email me about it or expect me to pay to fix your mistake.

Also, please do not post a direct link to the file in UseNet. I provide
the link description above for a reason. Thanks.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com