Old February 2nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default IFR Checkride WX Questions

"kevmor" wrote in oups.com:

Should I know
every possible symbol for all those charts, or is getting a general
idea and then calling 800-WX-BRIEF good enough?

Important thing to know from my experiences is to know where the freezing level will be for
icing conditions and ceilings and what kind of weather you will be flying through.
(I.E. identify conditions not condusive for your plane, such as icing or T'storms)
Knowing every bitty detail isn't necessary.

From your Duat's text briefing, you can extract ceilings, tops, and pireps.

What I found best, since the DE is going to look at what you considered using in your flight planning
is to print out the charts that assisted you in your planning. I used AOPA weather charts (for members only)
as well as http://aviationweather.gov/products/nws/tafs/graphics/ (free public access)

By providing your own charts, the DE probably won't bring up the issues of old charts since he is
looking for what you do now in your planning.

As Jim said in another post, you are not taking a test for meteorology (though it sure feels like it sometimes!)

See http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a56cf54d9ad314

for my experiences.

Allen