Old February 2nd 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default IFR Checkride WX Questions

On 02/01/07 20:41, kevmor wrote:
So my IR checkride is approaching, and the thing I'm the most sketchy
on I think is the weather charts. I'm fine with TAF, METAR, and other
textual, but I guess it's because I can't find all the exact same
graphics on DUATS/DUAT that they use on the FAA exam (prognostic
charts, etc). Even DUAT/DUATS show things slightly differently. How
much is this going to be asked about on the checkride? Should I know
every possible symbol for all those charts, or is getting a general
idea and then calling 800-WX-BRIEF good enough?

I was very worried about this for my check ride as well. I found that even
some of the charts referenced in Rod Machado's 'The Instrument Pilot's Survival
Manual' weren't still available.

In my case, the issue of weather was touched far less that I expected it
would be. I needed to be able to get a weather briefing and understand the
importance of things like thunderstorms, freezing levels, etc.

By the way, there are a lot of really good weather charts and other tools
available at the ADDS web site:

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/

There you will find prog charts, Icing charts, Turbulence, etc. All in
a nice, easy to locate format.

Also, Ed Williams' web site includes a great deal of information:

http://williams.best.vwh.net/

Have a look at the link to his favorite weather briefing links:

http://williams.best.vwh.net/weather/weather.html

Lots of great stuff there.

I look forward to hearing how you do on your check ride!

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA