View Single Post
Old January 3rd 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The truth about Flarm Stealth and Competition definition...

Ideally you'd like ID available at minimum for traffic with an active alarm so you can say "9B turn right" at a safe distance. Relative altitude data allows some sense of climb rate - with a little math.

However, others have argued that being able to see any glider circling at beyond visual range - especially when you really need a thermal to avoid an outlanding - irreparably harms the spirit of the sport. This view contends that finding another glider climbing should depend solely on the pilot's natural visual acuity (or ability to afford Lasik).

9B

9B,

Obviously you are trying to goad me on with that last comment. I'll bite.

Some of us still believe that looking at clouds and terrain - finding thermals yourself, is an important part of the sport. Throughout these threads this is still a lot of overstated talk about safety that is covering for what some folks really want, to buddy-fly their way around the race course.

BB has even said leading out is a losing strategy. Strange, champions of the past weren't afraid to lead out. Is this the way we are heading?

FLARM with stealth as it is now really works well in a contest setting for collision avoidance. Those who claim otherwise have largely never tried it and/or want (in some cases need) to see others to make their way around the race course. Seems kind of weak-assed in my opinion.

Still waiting to hear what you think our sport should be about. You are on the RC. I'd like to know your vision for the future of the sport. Which parts should be keep that are essential to the sport?

Should we keep the part about not running a motor? Or should we begin to allow 2 five minutes periods of sustainer motor operation? That would be safer* yet and it would keep those who didn't get enough recent practice to stay higher up on the score sheet longer. Would that make for a better race?

XC

*Not sure sustainer motors have a good safety record compared to pure gliders.