Old January 4th 16, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default The truth about Flarm Stealth and Competition definition...

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 7:18:22 PM UTC-5, smfidler wrote:
Wow man! Just Wow!

Safety concerns equal "weak-assed!" Yeah baby! Yes! Here we go. That's it Sean! Give into your feelings...let them flow....strike me down with all of your hate and give into the dark side..............Yes, yes!!! :-)

You know, you guys have been right all along...Flarm does mean that nobody ever finds a thermal on their own! We all just float around aimlessly, monitoring the screen, waiting for 10 knots to appear next to a blip on the ClearNav 10 miles ahead and just...head on over, mixing cocktails while singing along with the Sinatra channel on our XM radio.

"Fly me to the moon and let us dance among the stars.....". http://youtu..be/oCW9Hey6IVY. :-). We just whistle along and watch those "suckers" ahead of us aimlessly trying to do it the old fashioned way. Into the wind, and uphill both ways! Then, when we wear them out and they get frustrated, they'll inevitably do something stupid and we pass them inverted, while giving them the bird like in Top Gun! Yep. I personally haven't found a thermal since 2011.

This thread is now as ridiculous as it is awesome. Its almost better than actual watered down US OLC/HAT luck tasks! The rising level of paranoid, insecure and literal fantasy world accusations dealt out by the anti Flarm gang keep us all coming back for more. I honestly can't wait to hear what's next! My stomach actually hurts as I type this from laughing so hard with visions of the way "it is done" in my cockpit above...

"Fly me to the moon.......trumpet solo..... In other words........ baby kiss me..." Mixing perfect drinks, talking on my phone, with scouts calling in additional weather and data analysis from my private weather satellite.. Sometimes I don't even notice that a have landed. Tiffany has to knock on the canopy is I sit inside oblivious to the outside evniornmemt. Yep, it's pretty spectacular what technology has done to our sport.

Man I love Frank Sinatra! And man-O-man how I love my secret minibar hidden in the armrest of the 29....http://onemileatatime.img.boardingar.../IMG_72351.jpg What do you think of the gold trim. Fantastic!

Yep, until Flarm, I had no idea how easy contest flying was. All I needed was a ClearNav, a secret/custom autopilot and my secret mini bar to give me something to do as I watched my cell phone. Soon I'll be World Champion! Oh wait a minute, damn, now without Flarm I probably can't even finish a task, I'm so poor at soaring. Same for 80% of us who hav come to completely rely on PowerFlarm. We won't know what to do now. We are all really WEAK ASSED.

And the thought of soaring without my minibar, what fun is that? Oh well.. Time to take up golf.

Signed...one of XCs (stealth/comp/crazy mode fanboy 1) supposedly "weak assed" pilots...who fraudulently "pretends" he is concerned about safety...so he can mercilessly leech superior pilots...via Flarm, 10 miles behind, with my secret autopilot, my hidden minibar, and my co-pilot Mr. Frank Sinatra, even though all of my flight traces are publically available and prove this is ridiculous....and I know this because I take the time to study many flight traces (mine and many others)...and simply does not see any evidence of a Flarm leaching problem....wait, that's crazy talk. Sorry...

To the rest of you, I promise not to fly with my minibar anymore and will destroy my top secret Flarm slaved auto-pilot. Yep, Sean (XC, and the RC) got me, yet again!

Sean (Fidler), whatever you're smoking, hope you brought enough for the rest of us.... (learned a long time ago in school....).

As stated before (in multiple threads/posts), this discussion (if you call it that) is NOT about reducing safety, it's "giving breathing room" to figure out new technology.
Granted, the FAA (in the USofA) may make it a moot point in a few years, but that does NOT belittle the current concern.

Same could be said for earlier tech that appeared, or, was determined it was needed.

Yes, I remember when "time date stamp" cameras were mandated because someone figured out how to do a "short course" but "document it" on film for a "declared course".....

Yes, call me old.

While the genie may be out of the bottle, I applaud multiple RC's to try and give some time to figure out what is needed/required to:

1-Promote safety (have not seen anything that is truly against that in the US).
2-"Make it fair & relative" for "contest flying" (I don't recall the SSA ever listing a "race schedule", only a "contest schedule" [figured I would close that comment thread here & now]).

As I linked before, I feel that the "current proposed SSA RC competition mode" is a decent compromise for the peeps that want more safety, but also limits some of the possible tactical advantage of "full open Flarm".

It's NOT just the US, it's other soaring governing bodies that want similar.. Hope some "pro full Flarm" peeps are "shaking the tree" on other sites around the world to show their dissatisfaction with the proposed rules direction across the globe.
You're not??!!, Why not!!, you know, the "whole safety in numbers across the globe" thang.....

Based on what I think the SSA RC is currently proposing (5KM limit) fits within the basics of what Flarm (you know, the people that actually MAKE & WRITE SOFTWARE FOR their device) are stating.

What, you want an engraved invitation to the party?

Am I talking over your head?

I feel the SSA RC is attempting to do a good compromise for NOW, who really gives a poop about 2020 until at least 2019?

Maybe someone can enlist Trump to make it part of his 2016 platform, not that it will happen.....