Old December 31st 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 50th Consecutive National Championships - Is this a record?

On Dec 30, 7:54*pm, " wrote:
Congratulations Bobby . As they say behind every successful glider
pilot there is a successful manager . Keep up the good work Carol .
I did fly several contests with Bobby in the early 70's and despite a
total of 62 contests now flown I can only count 28 as " Nationals
" ( South Africa , England , Rhodesia ,USA ) and probably would not
have looked the numbers up without this r.a.s. posting as a prompt .

Some may remember Bobby and Karl competing for the honor of the
World's longest o/r flights in the late 1960's and into the 70's.
Bobby flew a 785 km o/r in a Libelle using thermals only in 1969. Not
bad for 40 years ago eh !

Robn Clarke (ZA).

50 years of flying all the Nationals has to be a World Record -
Congratulations

This post brought memories of my brother Ned and my trip to the 1958
Nationals at Bishop. Things have really changed in 50 years. On the
second day of the contest I earned my Silver "C" with a 5.5 hour
flight in our TG-2 to Benton Station. The tows would take us 300 to
400 feet over eastern slopes of the White mountains. It is still a
thrill to remember climbing by the BIG ROCKS on the mountain slope at
over a 1000 feet per minute. Really a thrill for a 18 year old flat
lander with 31 hours in his log book.

I wish I had not missed flying in a National contest every one of the
last 50 years.

Bill Snead
6W